Summer and comfort go well together, but when you’re dealing with an air conditioner that isn’t leaving you with the comfort you expect, you may need to think about air conditioner replacement. Take a few seconds and think about this scenario: it’s only a few weeks in to the summer and you’re enjoying a relaxing day at home. As lunchtime nears, you recognize that it’s feeling awfully warm inside. You check the thermostat and all seems to be well with the settings, but the temperature reads 85 degrees.
It’s likely that you rode it out as much as you could, but now it’s time to call in an expert and discover what’s wrong. So what does that mean for you as a homeowner? Well, there are a couple reasons that you may be facing air conditioner replacement. And considering the weather in Anchorage, you don’t want to be stuck without what may be the single most important piece of home comfort equipment you own.
Here are a few things you should be watching for if you think your air conditioner has stopped working:
- Insufficient air flow. If you notice a change in air flow, check for a blocked return-air or supply-air grille. Be sure all of these grilles are not obstructed by furniture or other items.
- Non-working outdoor fan. If you go outside to look at your air conditioner’s outdoor fan and it doesn’t run, you’ll want to give the experts at Discount Mechanical Heating & Plumbing Services in Anchorage a call. That fan handles the transferring of heat from your home to the outdoors. If it doesn’t run, that heat transfer isn’t occurring and can cause a number of issues, including overheating of the compressor and other potential internal problems.
- Outside obstructions. If your air conditioner is currently surrounded by shrubbery or other potential obstructions, there could be an issue with proper air flow to the unit. Over time this could also mean that dirt and debris end up clogging your system and inhibiting its cooling abilities. Ensure your system is free from obstructions and is cleaned regularly to potentially decrease your chances of needing air conditioner replacement.
- Dirty filters. One of the most common issues that Discount Mechanical Heating & Plumbing Services sees is improperly cared for filters. Dirty filters not only decrease airflow, they can also effect your system’s efficiency and can drive up your bills. They also affect air quality and when allergy season is in full-swing, a dirty filter can have a great impact on your home comfort.
If you have checked all of these and your air conditioner still isn’t working, follow these step-by-step instructions, only proceeding to the next step if the system doesn’t start.
- Check that the thermostat temperature set-point is set below indoor temperature, and the system switch is in the COOL position.
- Is the outdoor unit power supply switch "on"?
- Is the furnace/air handler power supply "on"?
- Check the house fuse box/breaker box for a blown fuse or tripped circuit breaker.
- If the system still does not operate, call Discount Mechanical Heating & Plumbing Services at 907-202-9798.
Having an inoperable air conditioner and dealing with air conditioner replacement doesn’t have to be a headache. Sure, your system may not be running , but that’s why the pros at Discount Mechanical Heating & Plumbing Services in Anchorage is here to help. Give us a call at 907-202-9798.