Generally, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association
. Dependent on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, how many pets you have, and how often your air filter has been swapped out, to name a handful—you may adjust your air duct cleaning
more or less frequently. So, how can you find out for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are certainly some significant signs when it’s time.
Look for these clues:
- Are your cold air returns covered with dust or pet hair?
- Is there an obstruction inside your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers blowing out dust?
- When you look inside with a flashlight, can you see an accumulation of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents nestled in your ductwork?
- Can you hear clatter other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have not as much airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s most likely time to ask Discount Mechanical Heating & Plumbing Services in Anchorage about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
There are some things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and lengthen the period of time between specialized cleanings.
First and foremost, schedule regular HVAC maintenance with the experts at Discount Mechanical Heating & Plumbing Services. A tune-up of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should include inspection, and potential replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system running efficiently, and will help keep your ducts clean.
You can also converse with the team at Discount Mechanical Heating & Plumbing Services about installing an air purification system. We provide the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other measures you can take include:
- Regularly dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Checking your air filters regularly and exchanging them when the manufacturer recommends replacing them. Most filters will show dust on them after a short period in service, but they may not require replacement.
- Sealing seepages in air ducts that allow dust to move in from areas like your attic.
- Trading poor or damaged air-duct insulation.
With a professional air duct cleaning and some preventive measures, you can help keep the air in your Anchorage home clean and healthy. Give the experts at Discount Mechanical Heating & Plumbing Services a call at 907-202-9798.