Is a Central or Ductless System Right for Your Home?
In the heat of summer, Anchorage homeowners should find a cooling solution to keep their houses comfortable. Two popular choices include central AC systems and ductless systems.
HVAC technicians examine the benefits of these air conditioning solutions and how they cool homes. Knowing these advantages can help homeowners determine the best option for their house.
One of the most common and effective cooling options is a central AC system. This system effectively removes heat and humidity from a house through a compressor, condenser, evaporator coil, air handler, ductwork, and thermostat.
Central AC units offer homeowners a lot of benefits, including:
- Consistent and even cooling throughout an entire home or building.
- Improved indoor air quality due to filters that remove dust, allergens, and pollutants from the air.
- Higher energy-efficiency ratings compared to individual units, including window ACs or portable ACs.
- Quieter operation compared to window or portable units. Noisier components are also located outside the house, making it quieter inside the home.
Ductless Mini Split Systems
Another common cooling solution is a ductless mini-split AC system. This system, also called a ductless air conditioning system, doesn’t require ductwork to cool a house. This makes it a favorable solution for homes without existing ductwork.
When deciding if a ductless mini split air conditioner is right for their house, homeowners should consider these benefits:
- Ductless systems can be installed in homes or buildings that do not have existing ductwork. They can also be mounted on walls or ceilings. This makes adding them simpler than air conditioning installations.
- Each unit can be independently controlled, allowing for different room temperature settings.
- These systems can be more energy-efficient than others as they don’t experience energy loss through ductwork.
- Easier to install than central AC systems as ductwork is not required.
Other AC Systems
Central AC systems and ductless mini split systems are common AC systems, but there are many others, including window AC units, portable air conditioners, and split air conditioners.
- Window units are mounted in a window or an opening in a wall. These units are meant to cool small spaces or rooms – they are not meant to cool an entire house.
- Portable AC units are mobile, self-contained systems that can be moved from one room to another. These are flexible options to cool specific house parts, but they cannot cool an entire home.
- Split air conditioners are similar to ductless mini splits, but these ducted air conditioning units use ductwork to distribute air throughout the home.
If a homeowner is considering these cooling systems, they should talk to an AC contractor about their options to determine if it’s the right solution for their home.
About Discount Mechanical Heating & Plumbing
Since 2004, Discount Mechanical Heating & Plumbing has provided quality heating and cooling services to their neighbors in Anchorage. A family-owned and operated company, they offer 24-hour emergency services and flat-rate pricing. Call them today for HVAC services in Anchorage, AK.