You’re in the middle of the coldest week of winter and you wake up trembling in a pile of blankets in bed. The first thing you think is, “Why in the world has my furnace not kicked on?” Of course, you don’t want to find yourself in a predicament like this where it feels like you’re predestined to suffer until morning to arrange furnace repair, but there are a couple things you can inspect, as well as a handful of things you can do, to stay ready and prep for a scenario like this.
Before You Experience Problems:
- Furnace service. Chilly nights and furnace repair can’t always be avoided, but having annual furnace service completed can help you have a better chance at averting a chilly situation.
- Compile supplies. Create some room in a closet, drawer or another easy to access area for blankets, a space heater, gloves, hats and any number of other accessories to keep you warmed up while your furnace isn’t running. It might seem inconvenient or unnecessary now, but it will be a relief when you need it most.
After You Suspect Your Furnace Quit Working:
- Check the circuit breaker. There’s a chance that the breaker to your furnace might have been tripped by a power surge or for some other reason. If this is the case, flip the breaker back on and you may be set. If the breaker is tripped and you have turned it back on but your furnace still isn’t running, give us a call to set up an appointment for furnace repair.
- Add layers and get cozy. That handful of supplies we recommended above will come in handy here. Layers can help you preserve body heat so you can stay warm while waiting for your expert. Also, try to find something to do to keep your blood pumping, as increased activity can help keep you cozy.
- Stay safe. Employing something other than your furnace to heat your home can pose some danger depending on the method you’re using. It’s important to remember to never use heating methods developed for outdoor use – i.e. kerosene heaters, grills, or any other carbon monoxide producing methods. If you need to use another method, electric space heaters, fireplaces or wood stoves are your go-tos.
No one wants to put up with furnace repair in the middle of winter after their furnace has gone out, but the probability is real if you don’t take the right steps. Give the pros at Discount Mechanical Heating & Plumbing Services a call at 907-202-9798 if you have any questions about these tips, the furnace repair services offered or any other number of heating questions.