Call it Murphy’s Law, or maybe just a little unluckiness, but we sometimes see heat pump troubles in Anchorage during the cooler months, when they’re necessary to keep you toasty. While you know the team at Discount Mechanical Heating & Plumbing Services will forever be there ASAP when you require us for a heat pump repair, there are some things you can do to confirm that a repair is important and save yourself some cash if it’s not. We’ve collected this checklist of things to attempt before you give us a call.
- It may sound strange, but make sure everything is turned “on”. We’ve been to several calls only to find the thermostat or the heat pump itself is switched off.
If the heat pump still hasn’t kicked on, go back to your thermostat.
- Is the thermostat turned to heat? If yes, boost the temperature by five degrees to check if it switches on.
- If everything looks right, test your heat pump switch (if it has one) and check the fuses and circuit breaker that shield the extra heating element (if it has one).
Is a blockage causing your heat pump to fail?
- Try replacing the battery, if it has one.
- Check your air filters inside your air handler to confirm they’re not clogging things up.
- Are your room heating registers open and unobstructed?
If you’ve moved through this checklist and you still need a heat pump maintenance check, call Discount Mechanical Heating & Plumbing Services at 907-202-9798 and we’ll return your home back to the warm and cozy place you expect this time of year.