Whether you appreciate winter or desire the warmer months in Anchorage, most of us make adjustments to be sure our home’s temperature keeps us cozy. This can have a huge impact on your monthly bills, but there are steps you can take to reduce those energy costs.
- Look at the weather stripping – After many years, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to find any drafts that have to be addressed.
- Take advantage of your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be helpful in keeping your home warm. Keep them open during the day when the sun is out, and make sure to close them at nighttime, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter regularly to see if it must be switched out. We suggest at least once every three months, but time between replacement can vary among households.
- Buy a programmable thermostat – They may seem like just a simple way to make sure your home stays warm, but programmable thermostats can also save you money! You can set temperatures to be cooler when you are away from the home or sleeping. Using your heat more efficiently helps lower your bill.
- Add insulation to your attic – Look to see if you have an acceptable amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a powerful tool to reduce the chances of heat escaping.
- Call for routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system will benefit from having a professional look at it, too. Hiring experts to clean and maintain your system will give you piece of mind that your system is running effectively and efficiently. They can also catch small issues that could end up as more expensive repairs if neglected.
- Assess your HVAC system – If your utility bills are continually increasing—despite your efforts to improve efficiency—it might be time to consider a replacement heating system. An expert at Discount Mechanical Heating & Plumbing Services can help you examine the performance of your HVAC system and walk through the selection of newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps lower the amount of money you are spending on your energy bills, but many of them can help your heating system operate more efficiently. More efficient energy use also improves the health of your equipment, which means a longer life for your HVAC system.
If you need routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide additional information on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Discount Mechanical Heating & Plumbing Services in Anchorage a call to get started. Contact our team at 907-202-9798 or schedule an appointment with us online.