Whenever your gas furnace is running, carbon monoxide is being formed. However, there is no cause for worry. It is a natural by-product of the fuel-burning process. As long as your furnace is operating properly, it is carefully deposited outside your home. Carbon monoxide is stored inside your furnace’s heat exchanger until it is safely forced through the flue vent to the open air around your home. Carbon monoxide poisoning is a product of a malfunctioning gas furnace.
Breathing in too much carbon monoxide stops the body from using oxygen and can hurt the central nervous system and heart. While carbon monoxide poisoning can hurt anyone exposed to the gas, it is especially risky for people with existing lung or heart problems, pregnant woman, infants and children. Here are some tips to ease your mine mind and sustain a healthy, comfortable and safe home.
1. Invest in carbon monoxide detectors. Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas that can’t be detected by humans. Without a detector, it’s practically impossible to notice carbon monoxide is accumulating in your home. You may not know until someone starts showing symptoms of poisoning. Introduce carbon monoxide detectors on every floor of your home, ideally near bedrooms, to be alerted to rising levels before anyone gets sick.
2. Be sure your gas furnace was installed properly. If your gas furnace wasn’t installed by professionals, you should have it checked. The experts at Discount Mechanical Heating & Plumbing Services can make sure your blower motor is installed correctly and that everything looks correct in your ductwork design. Carbon monoxide can build up if there are problems in those areas.
3. Schedule annual maintenance. Regular maintenance is the best way to prevent carbon monoxide leaks from your gas furnace. During a yearly tune-up, your experts will clean your system and inspect it for malfunctions or problems. It’s also a good idea to have any other gas-, coal- or oil-burning appliances professionally monitored as well.
4. Keep your air filter clean. A stoppage of airflow caused by a dusty filter can cause carbon monoxide to bleed out from your system. Set a reminder on your phone or mark your calendar to regularly check your air filter and clean or change it per the manufacturer’s recommendation.
5. Always depend on professionals to fix your gas furnace and other fuel-burning appliances.
Carbon monoxide can be extremely hazardous, but you can have peace of mind by taking a few precautions. You’ll always have the professionals at Discount Mechanical Heating & Plumbing Services in Anchorage around to help, too. Give us a call at 907-202-9798 if you have questions or concerns about carbon monoxide or your gas furnace. You can also schedule an appointment using our online scheduler.